Speedway, a chain operating in more than 20 US states, serves as a highly affordable resource for entry-level employment. More than 2,700 gas stations are under the control of the nationwide chain, which includes thousands of careers in part-time and full-time capacities.
Facts About Working at Speedway
Minimum Age to Work at Speedway: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Speedway?)
Race Track Working Hours: Open 24 hours 7 days a week
Positions Available at Speedway: Customer Service Representative, Sales Executive, Cashier, Gas Station Attendant, Shift Leader, Food Specialist, Maintenance Technician, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager
Speedway Interview Videos
Speedway Job Opportunities
Speedway ranks as one of the largest grocery chains in the United States. Domestic job options include opportunities from entry-level attendant and maintenance positions to work in company corporate offices based in Enon, OH. However, most job seekers find employment in the extensive network of gas stations. Shops often sit comfortably along well-traveled highways or at busy intersections. Easy access to gas station locations often increases interest among prospective partners. Employee discounts on products and services are also a major draw for business.
The gas station chain offers customer-oriented and service-oriented operating settings. There are face-to-face conflicts with customers on a daily basis. Irregular hours force workers to adopt flexible schedules, including the possibility of night, weekend or holiday shifts. Like most competing chains, Speedway requires no formal experience or skills for entry-level employment assessment. Many teens and young adults use the officer position as a stepping stone, career starter or resume builder. Motivated individuals who want to join the company for the long term also take advantage of the professional growth and development opportunities available.
Racetrack Positions and Payment Information
For those interested in speedway jobs, recruitment begins at age 18. The nationwide company offers a variety of programs to workers and provides complete and paid on-the-job training. Part-time positions in entry-level roles are the most readily available, and careers in management are recruited on an ongoing basis. Gas station job seekers often find jobs in the following positions:
Customer service representative
- Available in part-time and full-time roles, customer service representative jobs appeal to individuals with flexible schedules, excellent interpersonal skills, and dedicated and trusted personalities.
- Primary functions include welcoming and assisting customers, calling purchases, stocking goods, maintaining clean and sanitary workstations, and promoting an in-house rewards program.
- The occasional manual labor associated with the job title encourages applicants to apply in a healthy way.
- The wage starts with the minimum wage.
- Experience can increase hourly rates to $8.00 or $9.00.
Food Service Specialist
- Speedway food service specialist positions primarily deal with the preparation and serving of food and beverages.
- Replenishing ingredients and supplies and ensuring that food is served properly also remains vital to the position.
- The position involves working directly with clients.
- Presenting samples, making recommendations, and physically preparing orders represent typical daily tasks.
- Employees in the role repeatedly lift, bend, push, and move items that exceed 50 lbs.
- Standing endurance is advantageous.
- Food service professionals also earn a minimum starting wage and receive increases based on experience.
- Workers may also be interested in full-time career options in management.
- Available jobs often require some experience in high-volume retail environments or equivalent leadership roles.
- Specific titles include shift leader, assistant manager, and manager.
- Shift leaders often take over general inspection duties and prepare stores for opening/closing.
- Assistant managers and executives remain responsible for hiring employees, training partners, and ensuring that employees follow company protocol.
- Some places may prefer top executives to have a university education.
- Shift leaders receive hourly wages of roughly $9.00 to $10.00, while co-managers and managers earn annual salary options ranging from $30,000 to $50,000 on average.
Tips for Applying
Having an open program helps put the applicant ahead of other potential partners. The gas station chain is growing with 24-hour operations and needs people who can take on awkward hours to fill entry-level and management roles. Employees must indicate clear availability both on applications and throughout the hiring process. Shift preference usually becomes available over time after being hired.
The gas station chain reviews the information provided when applicants submit their recruitment forms and contact the appropriate partners to schedule job interviews. In most cases, candidates will be notified within a week to attend the interviews. Two weeks may be necessary in cases where several people apply for the same job. Recruitment managers often invite applicants for a telephone interview. Employees can choose to follow the practices before hearing from management via phone or email.
Benefits of Working at Speedway
Employee job benefits vary by position. The nationwide gas station chain offers both part-time and full-time workers key job benefits, including retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and competitive fee schedules. Full-time workers gain greater employment benefits and benefit from:
- Dental and life insurance plans
- 401(k) retirement plans and
- Bonus incentives
More details about the speedway
In 1991, Speedway began a partnership with the Children’s Miracle Hospital Network. Each company-controlled gas station provides donation boxes where customers can contribute if desired. Total donations exceeded $60 million as of October 2014. The gas station company also maintains professional ties to United Way.