The privately owned convenience and gas retail chain spans six states with approximately 435 stores. Sheetz continues to grow rapidly and leads the grocery market with a touchscreen, made-to-order food and 24-hour door policy.
Facts About Working at Sheetz
Minimum Age to Work at Sheetz: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Sheetz?)
Sheetz Working Hours: Shops Open 24 Hours
Available Positions in Sheetz: Beverage Host/Stewardess, Salesperson, Shift Supervisor, Assistant Manager, Assistant Manager, Store Manager, Fuel Transporter, Prep Cook, Line Chef, Team Member
Sheetz Employee Interview Videos
Sheetz Job Opportunities
In 1952, Founder Bob Sheetz purchased a single dairy store in Atloona, PA and eventually expanded the company to include nearly 100 stores before retiring. Operating as one of the largest convenience chains in both the Midwest and Southeast, the gas station employs more than 14,000 workers, contributing to the success of the $5 billion company. The family-owned gas station chain continues to expand facilities; The best example of this is in November 2014, when approximately $33 million was spent on a single food preparation building. Such developments offer rich opportunities for job seekers to gain meaningful employment and pursue rewarding careers.
Perfect for experienced and less experienced individuals, Sheetz provides job opportunities for high school and college students as well as career-oriented individuals. Employees who are consistently rewarded as one of the best places to work typically enjoy numerous benefits as well as the opportunity to advance in growing companies. Jobs remain plentiful for entry-level job seekers at gas stations, warehouses, and distribution centers, while the company’s corporate headquarters offers viable career paths for motivated professionals.
Sheetz Positions and Pay Scales
Sheetz requires applicants to be at least 16 years old and, in some managerial cases, to have appropriate certification. High school diplomas or GEDs are rarely required; however, having such certifications greatly increases the chances of being featured for employers. The following employment opportunities are readily available through the grocery chain:
- Employees in the market environment must be successful in customer service and naturally show people-oriented approaches to responsibilities.
- Part-time and full-time positions are available in anticipation of weekend and vacation schedules for prospective recruits.
- Job duties range from helping customers with their purchases to preparing meals in the kitchen area.
- Gas station workers must stand for long periods of time, handle cash, front and stock shelves, and maintain store-wide cleanliness.
- Promotion opportunities include the shift leader and assistant store manager, increasing from the hourly base rate of $8.00 to a maximum of $11.00 per hour.
- Additionally, salespeople get 50 percent off food and enjoy the occasional tip.
Food and Bakery Operations Team Member
- Team members prepare and pack food with special equipment and follow quality control and safety procedures.
- Workers must have the ability to lift 50 pounds, stand and walk for long periods, and work with potential allergens found in food.
- Sheetz restricts the use of jewelry and enforces hair nets for employees.
- The first and second shifts consist of regular working weeks requiring four to ten hour working days with the possibility of working on weekends and holidays.
- Candidates who can withstand working conditions of 36 degrees Fahrenheit may receive wage differentials that set hourly rates of approximately $9.00 versus the new hire rate of $8.00 per hour.
- Gas station managers lead staff with a customer-focused approach, and Sheetz oversees every aspect of grocery operations.
- Executive candidates must possess excellent organizational skills and demonstrate a keen understanding for the job.
- Other duties include preparing charts for subordinates, maintaining working teams, counting and ordering inventory, and analyzing business trends.
- Executive salary options start at $35,000 and increase with experience to approximately $50,000 a year with bonuses and profit-sharing opportunities.
h3 class=”brandpage”>Tips for Reference
Sheetz only accepts online applications that include personality tests and minutes of video on each position. Applicants should take 30 to 40 minutes to fill out the form. While it is unnecessary to watch the videos to submit an application, relevant information can be helpful to the interview. Flexible schedules and a willingness to work in multiple locations give hiring managers the best chance of getting attention.
Interview scheduling takes place over a period of one to two weeks after applicants submit their recruitment documents. However, depending on the availability of the position and the number of applicants, the response may take up to a month. Calling the desired store greatly increases the chances of meeting, as the venture shows a willingness to work. During the interview, managers test the company’s knowledge along with perceived job competency. Workers typically report receiving a job offer within a few days of completing the interview process.
Benefits of Working at Sheetz
The family business takes pride in the job benefits offered to its employees. When hired, employees receive food discounts, quarterly bonuses based on certain store sales, free drinks, access to a credit union, and free uniforms. Paid leave begins one year after employment and increases accordingly annually. While Sheetz also offers stock options and tuition assistance:
- 401(k) retirement plans
- life insurance and
- Health insurance continues for eligible employees
More details about Sheetz
In 1992, Sheetz for the Kidz established a long tradition of philanthropic contributions to the community. Initially raising $12,000 for underprivileged children during the holiday season, the chain has since expanded its in-house charity, in part with the Salvation Army, to reach 56,000 children, giving a total of more than $6.7 million. In addition, the grocery company has donated more than $2.5 million to the Special Olympics, and each year Sheetz sponsors nearly 40 families in its business through the Make-A-Wish foundation.