Primarily serving the Midwest and Southeast, Marathon provides candidates eager to enter the workforce a range of positions in entry-level roles and more career-focused endeavors. With over 5,000 locations and expansions, positions are constantly popping up to fill new vacancies.
Facts About Running in a Marathon
Minimum Age to Run in a Marathon: 18 years old (How old do you have to be to work in the Marathon?)
Marathon Working Hours: Open 24 hours 7 days a week
Positions Available in the Marathon: Gas Station Attendant, Maintenance Technician, Assistant Manager, Gas Station Manager, Accounting Processor, Administrative Assistant, Geophysicist, Human Resources Consultant, Field Specialist, Refinery Inspector, Reservoir Engineer, Payroll Analyst, Auditor, Interest Analyst, Clinician, Field Operator, Facility Engineer , Field Operator, Geologist, Land Fleet Inspector, Rental Attendant, Measurement Reader, Paralegal, Process Control Engineer, Production Technician, Tax Analyst
Marathon Job Opportunities
Known primarily for its gas station and convenience store combinations, Marathon regularly recruits motivated, friendly and hardworking individuals to staff stores in customer service roles. Employees who routinely interact with the public should remain the positive face of the store. Employees working to provide world-class customer service must exhibit excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to do simple math, and consistently multitask. Customer service workers generally only need to meet basic recruiting requirements to qualify for these types of positions.
As entry-level employees are securely placed in customer service associate roles, candidates with greater retail and supervisory skills fill positions as managers. Marathon typically seeks individuals with more than two years of retail knowledge and experience when hiring store-level managers. A manager usually performs a variety of duties, such as supervising subordinates, interacting with customers on a daily basis, and performing administrative tasks set by the corporate office. Employees in supervisory roles may need to take additional certifications and training to stay up to date with the latest accreditations and approvals required in the retail space.
Marathon Positions and Salary Information
To work for the gas station and grocery chain, applicants must demonstrate flexibility in scheduling, a willingness to follow direction, and the ability to work well in a team or independently, depending on the situation. Employees must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED to qualify for the following positions:
Customer Service Specialist
- A customer service clerk, who typically earns between the minimum hourly wage and $9.00 an hour, often works various shifts, assisting customers with their purchases and receiving various forms of payment to complete transactions.
- Employees who require a genuine interest in working with people must consistently demonstrate friendly personalities, the ability to work well in a team environment, and strong work ethic.
- Frequent responsibilities include ensuring merchandise and inventory remain at salable levels, retail displays and promotions are prominently featured, and store cleaning remains appropriate at all times.
- Customer service workers may face promotion from inside to store leader positions, acting as a supervisor rather than an incomplete manager, and can earn up to $10.00 an hour.
Assistant Manager Trainee
- The assistant manager candidate continues as a developmental role on the corporate leadership ladder, eventually leading to store management opportunities for employees in such roles.
- Assistant manager candidates work with successful store managers to grow, learn and experience everyday life as a store manager.
- Sharing the responsibilities of a regular store manager, trainees assist in recruiting, developing and motivating store employees, completing cash handling, security, maintenance and merchandising duties, and may replace the store manager in their absence.
- An assistant managerial candidate can earn up to $35,000 a year in salary options, and the position remains an excellent insider promotion opportunity for employees seeking long-term career opportunities in the retail world.
Tips for Applying
When applying for positions at Marathon, candidates can choose to fill out their recruitment form online through the company’s job portal or apply in person at a location of their choice. Most applicants cite applying in person as a way to meet directly with their hiring manager, which can lead to better job prospects. Applying at a store location also allows candidates to witness daily store operations and have one-on-one contact with store staff. Dress appropriately and bring all recruitment materials when filling out applications because onsite interviews can take place. Ensure all recruitment materials are complete, up-to-date and error-free to expedite all applications.
Candidates usually receive an offer for an interview at least two weeks after the first application. Due to the large number of applications received daily, Marathon may not be able to contact all applicants, particularly those who have not been accepted into the next phase of the recruitment process. People interested in a definitive answer can contact the stores directly, by phone, email or by visiting in person. Candidates should remember that when visiting a store in person to check application status, managers must perform a variety of basic tasks. Therefore, a supervisor may not have the opportunity to meet in person with applicants of the same type of urgency that candidates may request. Contacting the shops by phone can be more beneficial to both parties and still demonstrates the excellent level of interest in securing a position.
Benefits of Running in a Marathon
The gas station and convenience store company offers employees a wide variety of employee benefits. Along with industry-proportional pay scales and flexible scheduling, workers can qualify for health benefits, including both dental and life insurance options. Additionally, eligible employees gain access to:
- Bonus programs
- Paid vacation
- sick leave
- paid vacation time
- Bonus programs and
- Enroll in company-matched 401(k) retirement plans
All employees typically receive incentive programs such as tuition reimbursement and a generous partner discount at participating locations.
Additional Information About the Marathon
Marathon prefers to think of the company as everyone’s neighbor, and with locations stretching north to Minnesota and south to the Florida coast, community outreach takes many faces. For example, with more than seven million disabled drivers, the company launched FuelCall in 2009. Disabled customers press a button at the refueling station to ring a bell inside and signal the attendants to come out and help. The gas station and grocery chain also operate in some rural areas of the country. For certain areas near Amish communities, this meant installing tie-down posts for carriages to help keep all types of vehicles safe for everyone.